The HIM-Institute on Physics in Mainz is a collaboration of the GSI (Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung) and the renowned Johannes Gutenberg-University in Mainz. Its eight sections are headed by international leading experts in the field of nuclear and atomic physics.
Its research focuses on the precise and quantitative understanding of the effects of the strong interaction in atomic, nuclear, hadronic and particle physics.
The HIM-Special fields of research are:
- Theorie Floor (THFL) – Prof. Hartmut Wittig
- Electromagnetic Processes in Antiproton Annihilation (EMP) – Prof. Frank Maas
- Spectroscopy and Flavour Chemistry (SPECF) - Prof. Achim Denig
- Accelerator and Integrated Detector 1 (ACID) – Prof. Kurt Aulenbacher
- Accelerator and Integrated Detector 2 (ACID) – Dr. Winfried Barth
- Physics and Chemistry of Superheavy Elements - Chemistry (SHE) – Prof. Christoph Düllmann
- Physics and Chemistry of Superheavy Elements - Physics (SHE) – Prof. Dr. Michael Block
- Matter-Antimatter Symmetry in Atomic Physics (MAM) – Prof. Dmitry Budker
- PALUMA - Dr. Miriam Fritsch
A short description on the research groups in German can be found here.